Coogee
They climbed past the barriers meant for human protection, and wormed their way down the cliff.
The sound of the churning water below engulfed their hearing.
Sitting precariously in a hollow weathered out of the precipice; they gazed out at the inky blackness randomly scattered with heavenly bodies thousands of light years away.
"Did you know that the foam atop the waves are really dead unicorns? I saw it in a movie once and the idea saddened me, yet the thought of the mere existence of these mythical creatures was alluring..."
There was no response from him.
"Can you see the Orion's belt constallation?"
"Not quite" he replied.
Her fingers strain to point out the three stars aligned amongst the collage of twinkling lights.
"The red star on the end is called Betelgeuse...its red because its an old star..."
Her voice trails off, she's recited practically all her knowledge about the night sky.
Her laughter sounds sheepish, embarrassed.
"For someone who claims to be interested in astronomy, I don't actually know all that much - but I did attempt to paste some constellations on my bedroom ceiling! Its just too bad that i'm blind and I can't see them when I turn of the lights."
The warmth abated with the steady breeze and although sheltered somewhat by their secret rocky alcove; they huddled side by side to retain their body heat. Legs dangling, eyes fixated on the crests and troughs below.
"What do you think that isolated rock way out there is?" she always liked to refer to him as a small child would a teacher.
"It's probably a small island." Came his succinct reply.
The leisurely pace of conversation continued, all inconsequential, yet comforting.
Her head rested lightly against his shoulder, his head leaned against her windblown hair. Drowsiness brought on by the pre-dawn hours were temporarily hindered by the crisp night air and excitement lingering in their bones.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home